Emily has been recovering like the CHAMP that we all know her to be. She has been a little tired and had some nausea but doing well.
Upon removal of the Thyroid, they noticed it had grown into her muscle tissue and were unable to get all of it. Also, as the Thyroid dies, it breaks off into the body potentially spreading into other places. It had gotten so massive that they had to get really close to her vocal chords. Since then Emily has not been able to sing. They have not made any promises but hope that over time she can regain her musical talent.
She goes in for her first small Iodine Radiation Treatment on Oct 16th. This treatment is so they can see where it has spread. 1 week after the 1st small treatment to show them where it has spread they will give her a larger dose of the Iodine radiation in anticipation to KILL that DIRTY BEAST! Then, about a week after that the poor girl gets another small dose to see if they got it. If not, they will repeat the process. After the 2nd attempt, if it is still not all gone they will start Chemotherapy.
She is being given a choice to have the treatments done at Utah Valley or HOME. She is checking into the options and risks and will make a decision today. Remember, after each treatment she is in quarantine for 3 days. So, if she chooses to have the treatment at home and you are trick-or-treating, feel free to visit the White house, she will waive from the window! Halloween is one of her favorite holidays and she would love to see us all! I will keep you posted! And please remember to keep Emily in your thoughts and prayers! -Holly
2 comments:
Manolakis Family said...
Emily you are amazing - Thanks for the birthday wishes. The starting wage for nurses (new grads) is 21.50 and experience adds to that. Have your sister go to the nurse recruitment website and check things out. They are doing some updating and it will have a new look in about a week. My unit is the neuroscience unit.
Anyway, you have been TAGGED. Check out the rules on my blog and have so much fun coming up with 6 facts about yourself! Love ya! Natalie
October 13, 2007 11:07 AM
Anonymous said...
Sweet Emily,this is your mother.It is so much different being here in California and not being able to see you and put my arms around you and hug you.
Know there's a plan.You know what I mean,and remember you have your own means of having your voice heard.Hope,my darling girl.Keep your eyes closed to the fears and remember the Savior will take upon Himself your burden. Like the poem "Foot Prints" says,"Why my child,that is when I was carrying you." I love you,MOM
October 15, 2007 3:47 AM
Jerolyn said...
Hey Emma.. we are so sorry to hear about your cancer and the rough surgeries you have gone through. We were actually shocked when we got the email from Holly. she is good to keep us posted on your situation. Be strong, and hang in there the next few weeks.. they will be tough for you. But you can do it.. we will be rooting for you ok? Hosptials are not fun and it will be good when you can get home and back to some regular routine and activities. Have Holly take you out for a fun evening shopping and eating ok???
You get better now, and do what the Dr's tell you to do ok??
Roy and Jerolyn
September 18, 2007 2:46 PM
Emily said...
Thanks Natalie for helping me with this website. And thanks for all your insite and links to help educate me. I know you have gone through a similar situation with Gregs Mom and can really be a strong support! Love you!-Holly
September 18, 2007 3:12 PM
Anonymous said...
Emma-
I want you to know that I think about you daily and that you are in my thoughts and prayers. You are going to get through this, you always seem to make it through the hard times. I love you so much. You have been such a big part of my life for 15 years now and will be for the next 50 years. If there is anything that I can do just know that I am here. I love you.
Love, Nikki
September 18, 2007 4:50 PM
Anonymous said...
Emily, I was so sorry to hear the news when Holly called me last week. I thought about you and prayed for you all week. I have enjoyed the updates on how you are doing and I am very glad to hear that you are doing well and get to go home! It's hard to ever understand the different challenges and trials we all encounter in our lives, but we continue with courage, love, and strength. You are such a phenomenal person and one of the nicest sweetest people I have ever known. Keep your chin high and know that you are loved and have a whole hell of a lot of support. I am here for you. Check back later tonight for some more sweet pictures I found. Shannon (Bennett) Bernstein
September 19, 2007 11:37 AM
Anonymous said...
Emily
I struggled with what to write and I wish that I had the ability to say something comforting that would lift your spirits and make everything ok. As I went through the cancer ordeal with my sister over the past year I truly got an understanding of just what kind of thoughts and feelings go through your mind when you receive that kind of news. You are an amazing woman with unknown strengths and abilities and I know that you will get through this. Although it doesn't always seem like it, GOD won't give us a challenge that we can't handle. My thoughts and prayers are with you and if there is anything you need, don't hesitate to ask. Love Rachelle
September 19, 2007 1:02 PM
Anonymous said...
Hey Em- I just want you to know tha you are in my thoughts. Hang in there...No one that hasn't been in your shoes can relate or begin to understand what you are feeling right now. We all will try, but meanwhile you can count on us for anything that you need. Don't ever be afraid to ask. The most important and difficult goal is for you to come to grips with the roller coaster ride that you are on. Although it may seem impossible right now, accepting your path is key in the road to recovery.
We love and believe in you.
Alexis says, "Hiya Doo"
Mano
September 20, 2007 9:10 AM
Anonymous said...
Dear Emma,
Amy just called me and let me know of your condition. I am so sorry to hear you are going through such a hard time. I can honestly say I know what it feels like to be stuck in the hospital. One day feels like atleast a week!!!!
As you are well aware of I also know what it feels like to wonder if you are going to make it or not!!! Keep your chin up and remember how many friends and family members you have that love you and are praying for you. The Lord answers prayers Emily. Try to be strong and have faith! If you need anything please let me know. Love Ya, Chantel
chantel0727@yahoo.com
Take care and I will talk to you soon.
September 20, 2007 12:42 PM
Anonymous said...
This post has been removed by a blog administrator.
September 24, 2007 4:52 PM
Melissa said...
Hi Emma....It was so good to see you and go to lunch with you. I left you an email, but have not heard from you. I just want you to know that Coby and I love you to pieces and you have been in our thought daily since we found out about this crazy cancer. I know you will do great with all the many things you are going through. Please know that I am always here for you if you need anything. Thank you so much for being the sweet person you are.
I love you!!!!!
Miss
October 9, 2007 8:32 PM
Post a Comment